Thursday, November 26, 2009

All I Know: Fishing Is Life and Fishing is Dying




CLICK HERE TO WATCH IN LARGER FORMAT

Multimedia starts at 9 seconds.



This is a short piece, which will be a little bit larger in the beginning of December. You can consider this a trailer. I just wanted to post it for application purposes, and I know some people would like to see it.

This story is about the life-struggles of Eliseus de Sousa, a fisherman in northeast Brazil. The region he lives in is the poorest in all of Brazil. If you read Brazillian papers today you will see that this problem is a hot button. Neighboring communities are polluting waters, stealing boats, catching lobster at an infant state and stealing lobsters.

Due to desperation, the fishing community catches infant lobster, which results in a smaller catch the following year. Today, fishermen will only catch a dozen, or so, lobsters after a long week at see. The community of Redonda, where I reported with my partner Lucia Tolosa, consider this a full-fledged war.

I would eventually like to go back, if the "war" does not subside, and report on the violence. We were in the state a little prematurely and now, from what I have heard, the guns are out and people are ready to steal, fight and kill.

Zak

No comments:

Post a Comment